Intersectionality VBS Curriculum Writer
Job Title: Curriculum Writer
Department: Resource Development
Reports To: Emily Bagwell, Resource Manager
Apply By: March 16, 2023
Start Date: April 2023 – January 2024
End Date: January 2024 upon completion of all curriculum components for release
Emily Bagwell, Resource Manager
Reconciling Ministries Network
- Cover letter
- Writing sample (detailed below)
Include an example of your writing in response to this prompt:
- Read John 4:1-42 (CEB)
- How do elements of culture, gender, power, and/or nationality influence this interaction between the Samaritan woman and Jesus?
- Audience: a group of 3rd-5th graders
- Approximate length: 300-400 words
Join a capable team of writers to develop Reconciling Ministries Network’s Vacation Bible School Curriculum with Youth and Adult Learning Components. RMN will hire four contract writers to produce content for this curriculum. All content will be used in an Intersectionality Vacation Bible School curricula with Youth and Adult Learning Component produced by Reconciling Ministries Network (RMN).
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Writes curriculum outlines and themes: The curriculum writer is responsible for writing lesson plans as assigned by the Managing Editor for the VBS curriculum. This may include: VBS materials, instructors guides, and youth and adult learning components.
Participates in curriculum writers’ conference: Writers will attend an in-person conference where they will be assigned modules to develop in collaboration with other writers and the managing editor.
Provides materials for review: Presents modules for review to the rest of the curriculum development team and to an external review team.
Incorporates Review Comments: Edits materials based on review comments. Edits materials until final approval.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Minimum of 2 years experience in educational development, publishing, project management, or other endeavors managing people and processes that develop learning resources;
- Experience working as part of a geographically dispersed team;
- Ability to meet schedules;
- Advanced degree or the experiential equivalent in the areas of religious education, theology, or ministry;
- Leadership experience in ministry that invites people into deeper relationship with God and equips them as disciples of Jesus Christ;
- Open, collaborative work style supported by clear focus on results;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills in person, by phone, and by email;
- Competence using digital technologies (internet, websites, email, etc.) and standard word processing and spreadsheet software (such as Microsoft Word and Excel, Google Drive);
- Membership (current or previous) in a United Methodist church is preferred.
For more information on terms used in this job description and the general timeline of the project, please see the list below.
RMN is an equal-opportunity employer. For more about RMN’s mission and vision, see www.rmnetwork.org.
Terms and Timeline
Managing Editor– The managing editor has overall responsibility for ensuring that completion of the curriculum resource occurs on schedule; and meets criteria established during project design.
Writers– RMN will hire four additional writers to create content for the curriculum under the direction of the managing editor.
RMN Project Team– Combination of board members and staff to help lead and guide the project
Development Design Team– Team of 5-7 movement leaders who will participate in the development conference to launch work on the project
Development Conference– Online meeting hosted over several sessions with the development design team to identify and define overall goals, create daily themes, identify scripture references, brainstorm artistic direction, and create a glossary of terms for the project
Writers’ Conference– In-person 2-night/3-day conference to complete framework of materials, begin writing, schedule deadlines, and make assignments for each writer.
- Development conference will be organized and led by RMN Resource Manager and project team in conjunction with managing editor
- Writing team is hired to complete the process
- Writers’ Conference early/mid-April
Late April 2023
- Drafts due to managing editor from writers
- Editor creates front matter
- Feedback to writers from managing editor
- Final drafts returned to managing editor
From Writers’ Conference through December 2023
- Copyediting and formatting to complete product
- Important note for timeline: advertising must be ready and pre-ordered by end of September 2023 for Leadership Institute (prepare a product preview flier with sample content)
- Curriculum is ready for final publication