Hearts Unbound: Engaging Biblical texts of God’s Radical Love through Reader’s Theater
by David R. Weiss
The overwhelming message of the Bible, in story after story, is that of God’s radical love and welcome. Every time we think we know who’s in and who’s out, God does something to challenge those assumptions, to unbind our hearts and minds from old ways of understanding, and to draw the circle ever wider.
HEARTS UNBOUND invites you to explore ten of those inspiring stories of radical love and welcome. Entertaining, thought-provoking, and participatory, each session looks in-depth at the story, the historical context out of which it came, and some of the insights to be gained.
Designed to be used as a small-group Bible study, HEARTS UNBOUND uses the format of Reader’s Theater. But fear not… no costumes, sets, or refined acting chops needed! All you need are six to eight people around a table, reading the script, having fun, all the while learning a great deal in the process.
All ten sessions are available for free download below.
- 1. HIDDEN IN THE KING’S BLOOD: A Faithful Outsider Brought In – The Book of Ruth (pdf)
- 2. MUCH MORE THAN A BIG FISH TALE: God’s Reluctant Prophet to the Unchosen – The Book of Jonah (pdf)
- 3. HEALING – ON GOD’S TIME: Jesus and the Sabbath – Mark 2:23–3:6 / Luke 13:10–17 (pdf)
- 4. CRUMBS FOR DOGS: Jesus’ Encounter with the Canaanite Woman – Matthew 15:21–28 (pdf)
- 5. SAYING THE S-WORD: The Parable of the Good Samaritan – Luke 10:25–37 (pdf)
- 6. BESIDES THOSE ALREADY GATHERED: Philip and the Ethiopian Eunuch – Acts 8:26–39 (pdf)
- 7. BLANKETED BY SURPRISE: Peter and Cornelius – Acts 10:1–48 (pdf)
- 8. SIGNS AND WONDERS: The Gentiles and the Council of Jerusalem – Acts 15:1–33 (pdf)
- 9. GRACE AT THE TABLE AND BEYOND: Paul’s Argument for Extravagant Welcome – The Book of Galations (pdf)
- 10. SODOMY MEANS INHOSPITALITY: The Tale of Sodom and Gomorrah – Genesis 19:1–25 (pdf)