PRN is a group of United Methodist parents blessed with LGBTQ children.
We believe that God calls us to support fellow parents and other family members of persons who are gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender or queer (LGBTQ).
PRN began in 1999 when Bruce and Virginia (Ginny) Hilton, both United Methodist pastors and parents of a gay child, brought parents together. They aimed to present a visible witness of parents in support of ending the denomination’s anti-LGBTQ stance and provide their LGBTQ children the same rights as cisgender, heterosexual United Methodists at The United Methodist Church’s 2000 General Conference.
Members of the PRN Board are available to offer help and support to parents of LGBTQ children. Feel free to contact them with your questions.
- Janet Duke — Austin, TX (jdukeaustin at gmail.com)
- Page Hines — Haslet, TX (pagehines at att.net)
- Jennifer Jue — Jackson, MI (jenjue at prodigy.net)
- Joy Leet — Stanley, NY (geojoy1 at yahoo.com)
- Audrey Myers — Elizabethtown, KY (avmyers01 at gmail.com)
- Chris Pepple — Germantown, TN (looktoseeme at gmail.com)
- Carolyn Scott — Kerman, CA (cscott93630 at gmail.com)
- Wendy Smith — Lincoln, NE (wsmith28 at gmail.com)
- Eric Swanson — San Diego, CA (rrch040522 at gmail.com)
- Rexanna Swanson — San Diego, CA (rrch4413 at hotmail.com)
- Ginger Thomas — Pittsburgh, PA (gingerthomas at baldwincommunityumc.com)
- Kevin Thomas — Tuscaloosa, AL (kthomas at forestlakeumc.org)
- Cheryl Vaughn — Austin, TX (cheryl.vaughan at sbcglobal.net)
- James Waugh — Grove City, OH (jwaugh4 at mac.com)
- Julie Wood — Winston-Salem, NC (avoiceforben at gmail.com)
Rainbow stoles have been a part of United Methodist Annual and General Conferences throughout the U.S. since General Conference 2004, worn by those committed to full inclusion of lesbian, gay bisexual, transgender and queer person in the life and policy of The UMC.
Signifying the diversity of God’s ordained kin-dom, PRN volunteers have faithfully made over 7,000 stoles for General Conferences in 2004, 2008, and 2012 and at RMN convocations in 2005, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2016, and 2019.