About the Conference
Gather at the River will bring together progressive United Methodists from all across the U.S.—and beyond—to celebrate our traditions of witnessing for justice and inclusion in church and society and to formulate a powerful presence and voice for the 2016 General Conference. Hosted by Methodist Federation for Social Action and Reconciling Ministries Network, Gather at the River will also include participation by kindred groups in the Love Your Neighbor Coalition: Affirmation: United Methodists for LGBT Concerns; Love Prevails; United Methodist Association of Ministers with Disabilities; and others. Gather at the River will be a unique opportunity to:
- Find Family that includes all God’s children: gay, lesbian, straight, bisexual, transgender, many races, different abilities together.
- Break Bread as we gather in worship, Bible study, workshops and small groups.
- Create Community within the amazing diversity of our identities that proclaims a common vision of justice and intentional inclusion.
- Share Stories of faith and hope that sustain and inspire our journey.
- Mobilize for Mission, empowering progressive United Methodists to raise their voices and to act in changing the church and world.
Gather at the River combines the traditions of RMN’s biennial convocations and MFSA’s Voices of Faith Conferences and marks the second time these groups have jointly hosted a national gathering (2011 Sing a New Song). Gather at the River is a multi-generational gathering. Program activities for children (ages 3-12) and youth (junior and senior high) will be led by professionally-trained staff.