ALFies Sunday School Class of Central UMC
“We, the ALFies Community at Central United Methodist Church in Albuquerque, New Mexico, declare ourselves to be an open, affirming, and Reconciling Sunday School class/community. We are committed to living and actively promoting the United Methodist’s credo: Open hearts, open minds, open doors.
‘Although we cannot think alike, may we not love alike? May we be not of one heart, though not of one opinion? Without all doubt, we may. Herein all the children of God may unite, notwithstanding these smaller difference.’ – John Wesley
We commit to:
- Be open and welcoming to all persons. Regardless of your age, race, education, culture, sexual orientation, gender identity, family configuration, religious faith or non-faith, legal status, economic status, political persuasion, or physical or intellectual challenges, you will enrich the fabric of our community.
- Affirm that all people are created in God’s image and that as beloved children of God, all are worthy of God’s love and grace.
- Recognize our differences and do not seek to erase them. Rather, we would use them as a source of strength as we journey together toward reconciliation through understanding, mutual respect, and love.
This is our understanding of actively promoting the United Methodist Credo:
- Open Hearts – We seek to devote ourselves to a mission of intentionally showing God’s love in our daily lives. Emulating Jesus’ ability to love and value all of creation is our challenge.
- Open Minds – We value exploring and questioning, learning from each other in community. We welcome questioning and doubt as expressions of great faithfulness. No one has all the truth.
- Open Doors – We recognize that the open door both welcomes all into communion, but also serves as our pathway into the community where we live and engage with our neighbors and the wider world. We seek to embody the same spirit of welcome and hospitality in the world as we do in our class. Everyone is our neighbor and our commitment is to love them.”